About

SHGC_about1

SHEPHARD HILLS HISTORY
Shephard Hills was originally part of the estate of Helen Gould Shepard, daughter of railroad magnate Jay Gould, a Roxbury native son. She purchased the property that included Kirkside Lake, the facility that supplied ice for the village in the winter months and recreation for the community in the summer.

Construction of the 9-hole facility began around 1916 and upon completion served as an estate golf course, which included a stone cottage for the Shepards’ summer visitors. The course opened in 2017.

Upon the death of Finley Shepard, the property was deeded to their daughter, Helen Anna, and remained in the family until 1972 when it was sold to a private developer. At that time the course was leased to the Shephard Hills Golf Association becoming a membership driven organization open to the public. Longtime Shephard Hills golfer Frank Adamiak purchased the course in 2000 and now oversees its operation.

The nine-hole course offers challenging terrain with spectacular mountain views. The full service clubhouse and pro shop are located in the estate’s former guesthouse, a remarkable stone structure commissioned by the Gould family in 1911.

 

Site by Locust Grove Enterprises